HOW TO DEREGISTER IN GERMANY
Deregistration / Abmeldung in Germany
- You are about to leave Germany and need to deregister
- You have left Germany and have forgotten to deregister
- The deregistration form is only available in German
Deregistration / Abmeldung in Germany
Who needs to deregister
If you leave Germany permanently, you must deregister your German address of residence. To deregister, you can fill in the deregistration form on this page and send the German deregistration letter to your local registration office.
If you’re leaving Germany for a limited amount of time, it is not necessary to deregister. If you’re changing address within Germany, you need to register your new address by filling in the registration form (Anmeldung).
If you fail to deregister you may be liable to pay tax in Germany. Moreover, a deregistration confirmation letter allows you to cancel your contracts you have signed in Germany.
How to deregister
1. Fill in the deregistration form (Abmeldung) on this page. Our system will automatically translate it into German.
2. This process requires a one-off payment via Paypal or credit card. After that you can directly download the completed deregistration form.
3. Print the deregistration letter. Make a copy of your passport (black/white is acceptable).
4. Sign the deregistration letter.
5. Send the deregistration form and a copy of your passport to your local registration office (Bürgeramt).
4. After 5-10 working days, you should receive a deregistration confirmation (Abmeldebescheinigung) via post from the registration office (see ‘How to get the deregistration confirmation’). If you do not get the deregistration confirmation, you can call the registration office. They can tell you if you deregistration was successful.
When to deregister
Ideally, you deregister (Abmelden) before you actually move away and leave Germany. We recommend filling out the deregistration form and sending it to the registration office 3-4 weeks before leaving. On the deregistration form you can indicate the date of moving out, it can be in the future.
This leaves enough time for you to receive the deregistration confirmation (‘Abmeldebescheinigung‘ or ‘Abmeldebestätigung‘). This confirmation allows you to cancel running contracts with your German health insurance, your bank account etc.
I have left Germany already and have forgotten to de-register / do my Abmeldung. What should I do?
Just fill in the deregistration form indicating the correct move-out date, even if it is in the past. It is extremely important to deregister (abmelden) because if you are still registered in Germany, a) you may have to continue paying for tax and certain contracts etc. b) you may have problems if you want to travel in or move back to Germany in the future.
My city is not listed. Can I still use this deregistration form?
Yes, you can! If you live in a city that is not on the list, then simply choose ‘other’.
In this case, you simply have to look up the address of your local registration office. There are 2 ways to do this:
1. Google ‘your city/district + Bürgeramt’ or ‘your city/district + Meldebehörde’, for example “Berlin Kreuzberg Bürgeramt”.
2. Look at your registration confirmation (Meldebescheinigung) that you received when you first registered in Germany. The registration confirmation should have the address of the registration office to which you should send your deregistration letter.
Do I need the ‘landlord confirmation’ (Wohnungsgeberbestätigung) to deregister?
No. Since 1st November 2016 you no longer need the landlord confirmation form to deregister.
In German, people refer to the landlord confirmation as Wohnungsgeberbestätigung, Vermieterbescheinigung or Auszugsbestätigung. Between November 2015 and 2016 there was a law that required your landlord to sign this document when you left Germany. However, this is no longer the case. Now you only need the landlord confirmation when you register in Germany.
Please read our blog article for more details on deregistering “8 Facts I How to Deregister in Germany (Abmeldung)”.
How can I make sure my deregistration was successful?
If you have not received a deregistration confirmation but you want to make sure that you are deregistered, you should contact your local registration office. It is best to call the registration office to which you have sent the deregistration letter. They can confirm over the phone whether your deregistration was successful.
How to do I get the deregistration confirmation (Abmeldebescheinigung)
You must explicitly ask for a deregistration confirmation (Abmeldebescheinigung) in order to receive one. This is why we have created a custom-made deregistration letter: If you just fill in the deregistration form provided by the Burgeramter, you will not receive a deregistration confirmation letter. You must ask for the confirmation letter to be sent to you. If you use our deregistration letter on this website you do exactly that. Remember, however, that not all registration offices send the confirmation letter to an international address.